Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Reflections

It is hard to believe that we are about to begin our fifth day in California. It's been a joy so far! Speaking as the leader (Jill) I can say that this is a wonderful group of girls to be with. On Monday evening we had our first day at Bible School. Rosy and I lead the junior high group, Megan and Laura Penner from the church lead the 3rd-5th grade class and Calla and Edith from the church have the K-2nd graders. We have a wide variety of busy bodies and quiet kids. On Monday, I counted around 40 kids! We are learning about God's instructions for our lives and times in the Bible when God met people on the Mountain. It's great to see the girls' compassion towards the kids and concern for each one of them.
Speaking of meeting God on the mountain, yesterday before Bible School we got up early and drove to Yosemite National Park. What a place to meet God on the mountain! We knew it was our only day to get there and decided it was a necessary quick trip to fit in since we're so close. With the road construction it did take up over 3 hours but was so worth it!
Another part of this experience so far that has been a lot of fun is making new friends and meeting so many new people in Reedley. One glimpse into this - last night after Bible School we made a spontaneous trip to a west coast smoothie shop, Jamba Juice. Our group went with Sarah Pohl (a ministry inquiry student from Bethel College in KS), Shoroq (an MCC volunteer in Reedley for a year but she leaves on Saturday) and Dietrich Reimer (who is from Reedley and the church, just graduated from college). We got smoothies and sat in the back of the pickup truck for a long time talking about our experiences and discussing many exciting topics about life. The girls have also been enjoying getting to know the high school youth from the church and adults who have been so kind to them.

I asked each of the girls to give me a brief reflection about where they have seen God in the last few days. This is what each one of them wrote:

I've seen God through the faces of the wonderful people who opened their doors for us. The church family is so friendly, that inside myself I had tears of how a small congregation can make a difference in the lives of the youth and the Hispanic community. - Rosy

I've seen God in nature at Yosemite National Park that our God created all this! His fingerprints are all over it: the cliffs, waterfalls, trees. Also the kids and people at First Mennonite are amazing. When I see my kindergarten-2nd grad kids smile or laugh it brings me an inner joy. I know God's at work here. - Calla

We've only been here for 4 days and I already see God in many places. The faces of the children as they dance during worship, the majestice background of the Sierra Navadas, and the passion of my teammates for Christ and service all reflect God's presence in Reedley. This congregation has welcomed us in a most amazing way, and I feel blessed to worship with them. - Megan

Check out the recent pictures below!

No comments:

Post a Comment